This blog is strictly intended as an outlet and should in no way replace professional help. IF YOU ARE FEELING SUICIDAL, CALL 911 PLEASE (there are more resources for help at the bottom of this page).
There’s no “right” way to get sober. Some people need different combinations of help, including detox, meetings, counselors, medication, or online outlets and resources – you need to decide what could be right for you. If you’re not sure, you should speak with your health care provider, for starters. Not everyone gets sober the same way, but it is certainly possible! Here are some helpful resources.
If you need help
Here are some of my favorite sites for help:
- Heroes In Recovery – Read inspiring stories from people just like me and you. Mine is in there. Yours could be, too. 🙂
- SMART Recovery (Self Management And Recovery Training)
- Sober Mommies – Genius. The unwavering and non-judgmental support offered here is incredible.
- Recovery Systems Institute
- DrugRehab.com/addiction/alcohol/recovery – lots of good info here, you don’t feel so alone.
Mental Health Resources
There’s definitely a connection between substance abuse and mental health disorders. Everyone is mental, ya know. Some of us are just better at hiding it. Since most mental illnesses are easy enough to hide, it can seem simpler to just not tell anyone and suffer alone. The more we talk about our shit, the less stigmatized it will become. There’s no reason to continue suffering. Help is out there. Find it.
When all else fails
Google that shit and take it one moment at a time!